As David, our resident Tiler tells us, keeping your work team onsite sweet is a very important, and can mean the difference between getting ‘a fantastic job!’ and a ‘mediocre one’… “Having worked with my guys on installations over the past 15 years I have experienced some pretty rubbish hospitality on site I can tell you. Sometimes we don’t even get offered a cup of tea!” David goes on to give us some secret top tips on getting a good job from your builders.
“Its really simple actually. Here you go, Im sure you can do all of these.”
- BE INTERESTED – Be nice to your builders, they are human just the same as you, they are not gorillas (although i have seen builders that resemble gorillas) some of us meditate in a morning before we start work and drink camomile tea! Be curious and ask questions about who they are and what are their interests? If your builder feels that you have an interest in who they ‘really’ are and not just a dogs body to turn up and get the job done, they will most likely take care and put a bit of love into the work on your beautiful home…
- SPACE TO BE – Offer them a space in the house to put their belongings, phones etc, so that they dont feel like they are imposing in your home.
- TOILET – Show them which toilet they can use and explain that they dont have to ask every time they need to use it. This will have them feel at home.
- REAL COFFEE – Offer them a cup of tea or ‘real’ coffee. TOP TIP: Its really worth offering, and making a point of the fact that you have ‘real’ ground coffee, even if they don’t like it, its nice to offer and chances are they will love it.
- HOT DRINK STATION – Create a tea/coffee making station somewhere for the team. This will mean that they can make hot drinks as and when they would like them and you don’t have to be constantly be asking them.
- TREATS – Depends how long they are working for you. Only 2-3 days or 2-3 months, my advise is to get a nice treat in right at the beginning of the job. NICE biscuits are easy and should be kept in full supply, not cheap pound stretcher ones, but nice ones that they maybe wouldn’t have at home. TOP TIP: If you really want to get the best job? make them all a lovely generous bacon sandwich with cups of hot tea on their first day! they will be blown away!!! its a real rarity and they will talk about how good it was the whole day! Trust me, Im a builder! 🙂